Being a mom to two small humans has hit me a wee bit harder than expected lately. I am constantly frazzled. Running late. Distracted, disheveled, sometimes downright disagreeable. There are days when keeping us all clean and fed without bursting into banshee-like wailing feels like a serious accomplishment. As a modern mother, I feel a lot of internal pressure to go and be and do. ‘Shouldn’t I be back to my pre-pregnancy body by now? Shouldn’t this meal and outfit and birthday party look Pinterestly picturesque? Shouldn’t my children be learning Mandarin while blowing locally sourced bubbles in a field of heirloom wildflowers? I get the feeling I’m not the only one allowing myself to feel less than perfect due to social media. Let me tell you, I am anything but put together these days and that should be okay with me. Let’s all decide to give ourselves a break, shall we? We can’t do it all and we shouldn’t try to. So what if I can’t walk around my house in the dark for fear of breaking an ankle on a wide assortment of toys? Instead of constructing a picture perfect exterior, I’m deciding to focus on the things that matter. Like looking at my kids instead of my phone. Cleanliness and organization are wonderful! Of course they are. And I hope to enjoy them again in a few years. So let’s choose to relax a little. Your children don’t care if your house or hair is clean. They’re the ones making those things so dirty anyway. They delight in messiness! So today, instead of sighing and picking up the toys you will inevitably be picking up again tomorrow…make these pancakes and snuggle your insane children. Or dog. Or spouse. Life is too short not to eat cake.
Seriously though, don’t come to my house. This place is a mess.
Makes 3 pancakes
- 1/2 c peeled and shredded carrots
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp ghee or pasture butter
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp pineapple juice
- 1/4 c almond meal
- 1/4 c arrowroot powder
- 2 heaping Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Browned Butter Syrup Ingredients:
- 4 Tbsp salted butter or ghee
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Peel and grate carrot. Put in medium sized bowl. Add eggs, coconut, ghee, honey, vanilla and pineapple juice. Stir until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir until well incorporated.
3. Allow to sit for a few minutes so the coconut flour can absorb some of the liquid.
4. Cook in coconut oil over medium-low heat. If the batter starts to spread too far, push it back to the size you want. I only had this problem with the first pancake. Cook for about 3 minutes each side, or until batter starts to bubble.
1. Put butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until it begins to brown.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, stirring frequently until it starts to thicken.
3. Remove from heat and serve over these lovely pancakes.
If you enjoyed this post/recipe, please ‘like’ and share with your friends!